Monday, September 14, 2009

Spot Cleaning

I recently got some grease of some kind on my suit trousers. I'm not even sure how it happened, but it was right on the upper knee of a pair of light grey trousers, so it stood out like a sore thumb. Instead of running to the dry cleaner, I tried a little DIY cleaning to see if I could beat the stain myself. In this case, I don't necessarily have anything against taking it to the dry cleaner, if they can spot clean it there probably won't be much harm done. I've written about alternatives to dry cleaning in the past because it's overused by a lot of guys to the detriment of their suits. There are several products that are gentle and yet effective for spot cleaning, and you avoid the chemicals that may not be necessary. For this spot, since it was grease or oil, I used a drop of dish soap on a clean sponge and dabbed the area. The degreasing action of the soap cut right through the stain, and my pants were as good as new. Saved me a trip to the dry cleaner, as well as some money, and it took literally 3 minutes to fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment